August 20, 2012

Live your DREAM: Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev



As I was working on staging one of my favorite ballets, I stumbled on a documentary of Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev. I could not take my eyes of the screen, and the idea to feature some of the most famous duets in my blog series was born. 

She was twice his age, yet, they were one on stage. 
I hope you enjoy the series. 

 Fonteyn and Nureyev are certainly the most-loved and celebrated ballet partnership of all time. Individually, Nureyev and Fonteyn were each worthy of joining the ranks of greats like Pavlova, Nijinsky, and Diaghilev, but when Nureyev and Fonteyn danced together, magic happened onstage. Nureyev's youthful, brazen force, and Fonteyn's refined elegance made their partnership a success from the start. One of their most famous performances is the ballet Romeo and Juliet. In the Romeo & Juliet balcony scene, you can see how perfectly these two dancers are able to work together. Onstage, they were more like one entity than two separate dancers?



 The documentary below captures some of the most amazing moments. As much as I enjoy to the progress in the ballet world, seeing the old school ballet is so beautiful. Wouldn't you agree?

THOUGHTS ON DOCUMENTARY?


3 comments:

  1. Magnificent series! An unusual pair. I particularly like her performance - the movement of her hands is just amazing. Thanks Olya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot and Rudy had more love in one gesture than most people do in a lifetime. I just adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post honey, i really love this series!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover